Who are we?

In this blog, there will be a variety of material: thoughts on Bible books, book reviews, historical characters, aspects of Scottish church history and other things.

Sunday, 16 December 2012

Blessings of loving Jesus sincerely (6:24)


I only want to mention two of the many blessings that are given to those who love Jesus in this way. The first is divine visits. Jesus said in John 14:21: ‘Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.’ The Saviour makes himself known to those who love him sincerely.

The second blessing is answered prayer. In John 16:26-27, Jesus taught his disciples: ‘In that day you will ask in my name, and I do not say to you that I will ask the Father on your behalf; for the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God.’ In this verse, Jesus states a reason, among many, why the Father loves the disciples: it is because they have loved Jesus and believed in him. The Father does not have to be persuaded to answer their prayers, he delights to do so. 

The challenge that comes to us as we reach the end of our readings in Ephesians, with its great descriptions of divine blessing and Christian living, is, ‘Am I a sincere lover of Jesus Christ?’ If we are, we are as we should be. Yet we should recall that the church which received this letter was later told by the risen Christ that it had left its first love (Rev. 2:4).

No comments:

Post a Comment